Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bob Dylan: My Back Pages

I think this ought to have come up here a long long time ago, considering I'd been listening to this same track over fifty times each day during my exams.
The song, "My Back Pages" first appeared during Dylan's golden period in the album Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964), in a simpler very typical Dylan harmonica-acoustic version, with him reciting and not singing the song.
But the version that's got to be one of the best and most complete tracks ever is found in the 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (1993), performed by various artists.
Apart from the famous guitar riff by Clapton in the middle, the track is exceptional as it brings together Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn (of The Byrds), Neil Young (of Pearl Jam fame), George Harrison and Bob Dylan himself to sing the magical words of My Back Pages, which becomes an anthemic tune, and one of the few songs which one can listen to in any sort of mood. Although there are quite a few well-covered songs of Dylan in the album, this stands out, and is bound to make the listener open his eyes wide and appreciate the magic of Dylan's songwriting every single time.

Must see:
My Back Pages Lyrics.
The Concert version.

No comments: